I recently visited Turkey Hill Experience in Columbia with our newly-promoted Marketing Coordinator, Kristen, and her 3–year-old daughter and ice cream connoisseur, Sophia. Turkey Hill Experience is a fun, interactive museum where you can learn about their history and how they make their very popular ice cream and iced tea products.
Throughout the experience, there are numerous interactive exhibits and activities geared to both children and parents alike. Some of the fun things we did on our visit included:
- Checking out the tearoom where we learned all about teas, finding out what teas match our personalities, and drinking as many free samples of tea as we liked. Our favorite for the day was “half and half.” (Half tea, half lemonade)
- Watching Sophia make her own virtual ice cream favor called “Coconut Bears,” which consisted of vanilla ice cream, raspberry flavoring, coconut, and gummy bears. After combing everything via a computer, she was able to design her ice cream package any way she wanted, then make her own TV commercial that Mommy could later access online.
- Milking the mechanical cows, playing with Sophia in the ice cream truck, and keeping busy in the Flavor Frenzy, where you pretend to pour flavorings into empty containers to create ice cream blends.
- There was a “cold room” where Sophia could experience what it would feel like to be stored in a freezer, and a Mix and Match station that allows you to smell various scents used in their products.
- Turkey Hill Experience also has a Make Your Own Ice Cream Lab (which requires reservations and an additional nominal cost), but we were so busy with our other activities we decided to do that another time.
And now for the Inside Scoop – throughout the Experience, you can sample as much ice cream, and as many flavors, as you like. Just like their iced tea. That alone was worth the visit!
On our way out, we visited a whimsical gift shop where Sophia scored a stuffed cow and a very large lollypop (since she apparently didn’t get enough sugar with all of the ice cream she had throughout the day).
All in all, Turkey Hill Experience was a lot of fun. I really enjoyed watching Sophia have a great time, as well as testing out several of the exhibits on my own. For a fun, engaging experience with your children, not to mention lots of free ice cream, plan your visit today. Check out TurkeyHillExperience.com for more information.